I spent a lot of my life pursuing HUGE goals and dreams that never seemed to work out, it wasn’t till I started focusing on much smaller goals that I started noticing huge results. Small efforts every day add up to big changes in our lives. Now when I make a goal I always break it up into pieces that take no more than 5-45 minutes a day. It is amazing what a big difference these small efforts make over time.
Today I thought I would share with you 26 goals you can use as ideas for your 2017 new years resolutions. These new years resolutions will make a big difference in your life, but they are really easy goals that don’t take a lot of extra time. Choosing realistic resolutions is the key to successfully keeping your goals.
I thought of goals for all different areas of life, health, family, community, finance, personal, etc. I am definitely not suggesting you do all 26 of these! But pick a few and focus on them, once you have perfected them add a few more. The italic goals are ones that I have personally implemented in my life over the past couple years and have had a really positive outcome with them. The rest are ones I am trying to do this year (not all at once, but slowly!).
26 Simple New Years Resolution Ideas
Easy Health Oriented Goal Ideas
1. Exercise every day for 15 minutes
2. Eat at least one super healthy meal a day, it can be overwhelming to change your whole diet, but making sure one meal a day is packed with whole foods, fruits and veggies can make a big difference.
3. Get up and go to bed at the same time every day.
4. Carry a bottle of water with you everywhere.
5. Whenever you have a craving for something unhealthy, eat a fruit or veggie first, often this gets rid of the craving. I am 50% at this goal… Still working on it.
Simple Personal Goal Ideas
6. Pick one day a week to spend an hour on that hobby that always gets thrown to the back burner.
7. Take five minutes to beautify yourself every morning, makeup, hair, whatever makes you feel ready to get out of the house. If I don’t do this in the morning chances are I will stay inside all day, getting ready first thing allows you to leave the house at a moments notice.
8. Get rid of one TV show. If you spend half hour a day watching a dumb show that has no substance, stop, this is your life and you can do SO MUCH MORE with it!
9. Take five minutes every morning to get inspired. Whether that is reading inspirational quotes on Pinterest or listening to motivational speakers, start the day out right with something positive. For me that is meditating and reading my scriptures.
10. Write in your journal once a week.
Organization and Home Goal Ideas
11. Clean and organize as you go throughout your day. Every time I leave a room I look around for 2-3 things I can pick up and put away. I also make sure Zoey cleans up one toy before pulling out another. Since I started doing this my house is never messy!
12. Be more patient with your kids, recognize that they still have a lot of time to learn how to ‘behave’ and give them more grace than you feel naturally inclined to. When you feel really frustrated take a deep breath and think about just how much you love that little person.
13. Choose one space in your house to organize every day for month, the fridge, the everything drawer, your closet, etc. You will be amazed at what a clean slate can do. Deep cleaning and organization takes time, but has long lasting results!
14. Purge, donate the toys and clothing you don’t use any more. You will feel lighter and more free.
Financial Goal Ideas
15. Think twice before purchasing something, do you really need it??
16. Open a savings account and put 5-10% of your income away every time you get a paycheck.
17. Sell things you no longer use, but still are in great condition. Since I have started doing this I have made almost $1000 from random stuff that I wasn’t even using anymore!
18. Use an app like Mint. or Safe-To-Spend to budget your money wisely.
Family Goal Ideas
19. Do something small each day to rekindle the romance in your life.
20. Think twice before complaining to your family (or anyone else…).
21. Call a family member or friend you haven’t talked to in a long time once a week/month. Sometimes we get so caught up in our busy schedules that we forget the important people in our lives that we don’t live close to anymore.
22. Put away ALL your devices for an hour a day and just spend time with your kids.
Community Oriented Goal Ideas
23. Smile at strangers more often.
24. Compliment someone every day.
25. Leave a nice comment on someones Facebook or Instagram page every day, it takes two seconds and will make someone smile.
26. Attend a local church in your area. Even if you aren’t exactly religious, the family oriented activities and friendly culture you will find can really help you feel involved and a sense of belonging in your community. I always use this tool to find a church as soon as I move to a new place because I find it really uplifting in my life and it is something that really unites my family.
Keep scrolling for more pictures or…